If you need to implement a back office QA process for interviews, SurveyToGo supports a feature called “Quality Assurance” section. When used in combination with the ability to not auto-approve interviews, you can employ a simple yet effective “quality assurance work flow”. Essentially, you add a special chapter with QA questions to the survey, and mark it as a QA chapter. The questions of this chapter will not be displayed to the interviewer, but rather only to the back-office user who reviews the interviews.
- Step 1: Configure the survey with a QA Chapter
- Step 2: Configure the survey to not auto-approve interviews
- Step 3: Use the “QA Section” in the operations console to review and answer the QA questions.
- Step 4: Optional: configure a score model for the QA questions which will automatically calculate a QA score to each of the interviews.
Step 1: Configure the survey with a QA Chapter
Configure the survey with a QA chapter is very easy. You simply:
- Add the Chapter to the survey by right clicking the “Root Chapter” node and selecting “Add sub chapter”:
- Then, open to the “Quality control” tab of that chapter and check the “Is quality-control chapter” box:
- Finally, add some QA questions and save the survey:
- Save the survey!
Please note you can add more than one QA Chapter.
Step 2: Configure the survey to not auto-approve interviews
By default, every interview that is uploaded to the server moves to the “Approved” status:
However, since we would like to add an extra step of quality assurance, we need the interviews to move first to the “Requires approval” and only manually move them to the approved status. Furthermore, the approved status keeps the interview in “read-only” mode and we would like to review the interview and answer the QA chapter questions, thus we need the interview to be in a “read-write” mode. To turn off the automatic approval of interviews:
- Un-Check the “Auto Approval Of Interviews” box in the survey properties tab of the survey:
- Save the survey!
Step 3: Use the “QA Section” in the operations console to review and answer the QA questions
After conducting an interview, you will see the interview in the “Operations Console” in the “Requires Approval” status. You may have to select this status in the operations console filter box to see the interview:
Checking the “Select All” box of the status filter will make sure you will retrieve interviews in all statuses and not only in the “Approved” status.
Here’s an example of an interview which wasn’t auto-approved – you can see the “Requires Approval” status:
To fill out the QA questions of this interview:
- Double click on the interview to open it and switch to the “QA Section” tab:
- You can now double click on the questions to see the relevant options and answer the questions:
- Once you are done answering the questions, the chapter will turn green:
- See how the chapter turned green after answering the questions. You can now change the status of the survey to “Approved” and click OK to save it:
- That’s it. The interview status has now been changed to “Approved” and when you will be exporting the data you will see the QA Chapter answers:
Step 4: Optional: configure a score model for the QA questions which will automatically calculate a QA score to each of the interviews
SurveyToGo offers the ability to use the built-in score model to calculate a specific QA Score which can then be shown in the operations console and is also exported with the interview data. To configure the QA score model:
- Click the “Edit Survey QA Score” in the “Advanced” tab of the survey:
- In the score model screen, add the relevant questions you wish to take part in the QA Score:Notice that only the questions in the QA Chapter are shown as candidates of the QA Score. In this case we choose all the questions and click on the Add:
- You can then change the weight that each question has on the final score as some questions sometimes matter more. If you wish to have an even weight, simply write 1 in each Weight cell:
- Click the OK button
- Now, all that is left is to decide the score that each answer of the questions will get. Click on the “Advanced” tab of the question and click the “Answer Properties” link:
- Then, scroll to the right and fill in the values for the “Score” column of each question:
When done setting the scores of each answer of each question that is part of the QA Score, click the OK button.
Now, when you open the interview in the operations console, you will see that the interview has a calculated QA Score:
If you change the answers to the QA Questions, you need to click the “Recalc” button to initiate a recalculation of the score weights and final score. If you need to set the score to 100 you can press the “Set Score to 100″ button which will bypass the score model. You can also choose to set the score manually by clicking the “Set Score Manually” button.
The QA Score is exported along with all the other interview data. You can even choose to show the QA Score in the actual operations grid:
- Click the “Edit Columns” link on the operations console:
- Check the “QA Score” box and click the up arrow to move it up on the order so that it will be shown as one of the first columns:
- Finally click the “OK” button and click the “Get” button again to refresh the view. You will now see the QA Score as part of the grid: