Multiple Selection Questions are used for allowing multiple selection of answers from a pre-defined set of answers, for example:
"What are your favorite music genres?"
Under the Survey Tree, this is how the Question Node looks like.
Each question has a set of tabs; each tab is used for different configurations – let's go over the tab's.
The View Tab
In the view tab you can configure the basic components of a question, such as its body text and its answers.
Question Type & General Settings
In the main panel, you can set the questions type, its textual color and formatting.
In the bottom panel, you can Clear the questions content, add a new question of the same type right after the current one and quickly navigate between questions:
The 'Question' Tab
Under the question's tab, within the View tab, you can define the Questions Body Text and the surveyors instructions if any.
Defining The Questions Text
The text written in the question's tab box is the body text that will be displayed to the surveyor.
The surveyor instruction box, allows you to configure textual instructions for the surveyor that will be formatted differently than the body text.
Here I configured my body text to be:
"What are your favourite music genre's ?"
And the Surveyor Instruction Text to be:
"SURVEYOR: READ OUT ANSWER OPTIONS, DO NOT READ OUT 'NONE OF THE ABOVE' OPTION"
The 'Answers' Tab
The answer's tab allows you to define the questions answers, set their visual rendering, edit and configure them.
Defining the Questions Answers
Answers can be added in various ways, for example:
- Writing the answer's text in the given text field, and hitting 'Enter' or the 'Add' button.
- Defining an answer scale. (For more information about answer scales please refer to the Scripting Guide)
- Using the Multi-Add feature. (How To Add Multiple Answers and Update Them at once)
The index column represents the position order of the answer in the answers list which is given automatically by the system and is then used when referring to answers values with functions
The 'Edit' button for the scale allows you to jump directly to the scale's editing mode.
The 'Edit' button for the answer allows you to edit its text.
The 'Properties' button allows you to configure the selected answers properties.
How to configure an Exclusive Answer in Multi Selection Questions and
The rendering panel allows you to render your answer visual rendering in different ways, for example:
Displaying the answers in multiple columns.
(Rendering answers in multiple columns)
- Rendering the answers as a selection list or as an auto-complete list.
- Configuring the minimum & maximum selections.
- Saving the click order of the selections (Will be reviewed in the exporting part)
- Setting the space between answers\rows.
The Rules Tab
In the rules tab you can define Entrance Rules, Validation Rules and Branching rules.
For more detail please see the following tutorials and refer to the scripting guide:
The Scripts Tab
In the Script's tab you can define your questions Start Script, End Script and enter the advanced scripts for defining more complex functions.
For more detail about Start, End and Advanced scripts, please see the following tutorials and refer to the scripting guide:
The Variables Tab
The Variables Tab is used for configuring variable related properties of a question.
- Variable Name: is the name of the column representing this question when exporting.
- Missing Value: is the value that this question will get if it was not answered or skipped.
- Short ID: Is a short name that is used for ease of readability and is viewable in the Survey Tree next to the Question Index – Short ID's can also be used as a basis for variable names, please see: How to work with QRef's & Short ID's
Variable names can be referenced instead of Indexes by using the correct functions. (Basic Introduction to using VRef and VarName)
The Coding's Panel allows you to configure how the coding of this question should be when exporting:
- Export each answer as a variable – Each answer will be displayed as its own column, for example (Q1_MGenres_O1. Q1_MGenres_O2, Q1_MGenres_O3, etc'), having the index of the answer as it's selected coding.
- Export to Checked/Unchecked variables – Each answer will turn to a variable and have its own column in the exported file, for example (A_1_1, A_1_2, A_1_3, etc'), if it was selected it will get the 'Checked Code', if it wasn't selected it will get the 'Un-Checked code'.
- Export Null Answer as Missing – Will export the null answers as missing value
- Export As Single Variable - will export the answers as a single variable
- Export answers as variable names – will have the answers selected coding replaced by the answer variable name instead of the answer index.
- Export 'OtherSpecify' at End – will place the OtherSpecify column which is exported like this 'Q_1_S', at the end of the answer columns instead of right after the 'Other Specify' answer.
Export Answers as text – will replace the selected coding with the answers text.
The Advanced Tab
The advanced tab allows you to set & configure more advanced properties of a question.
Common usages of the advanced tab:
- Hiding a question from the surveyor.
- Randomization of Answers\Topics:
- Allowing\Disallowing 'No Answer':
Configuration of Answer Properties, Attachments and Image Properties:
- Show End of List - It obliges you to scroll to the end of the list and tick it before you can proceed to the next question. This is to make sure you saw the entire answers list for long list.
Variables and Exporting Definitions
If 'Export each answer as a variable' is selected – Each answer will be displayed as its own column, for example (Q1_MGenres_O1. Q1_MGenres_O2, Q1_MGenres_O3, etc'), having the index of the answer as it's selected coding.
If 'Export to Checked/Unchecked variables' is selected – Each answer will turn to a variable and have its own column in the exported file, for example (A_1_1, A_1_2, A_1_3, etc'), if it was selected it will get the 'Checked Code', if it wasn't selected it will get the 'Un-Checked code'.
If I select 'Save Click Order', it saves the click order.
* My 1st selection was answer 4, my 2nd selection was answer 2 and my 3rd selection was answer 1
If 'Export As Single Variable' the answers will show in one variable
Common Functions used to retrieve the value
These are some common functions used with this type of question:
NotContainsIter(QuestionIndex, AnswerIndex, IterationNumber)
ContainsIterOneOf(QuestionIndex, IterationNumber, AnswerIndexesSeperatedWithCommas)
Common Functions used to set the value
dblSetSpecificAnswer(QuestionIndex, AnswerIndex, TrueForCheckOrFalseForUncheck)
For more functions please see the scripting guide and function library: Function Documentation