Rating questions allow you to rate a given set of answers, for example:
"Please rate the following products"
Under the Survey Tree, this is how the Question Node looks like.
Each question has a set of tabs; each tab is used for different configurations – let's go over the tab's.
The View Tab
In the view tab you can configure the basic components of a question, such as its body text and its answers.
Question Type & General Settings
In the main panel, you can set the questions type, its textual color and formatting.
In the bottom panel, you can Clear the questions content, add a new question of the same type right after the current one and quickly navigate between questions:
The 'Question' Tab
Under the question's tab, within the View tab, you can define the Questions Body Text and the surveyors instructions if any.
Defining The Questions Text
The text written in the question's tab box is the body text that will be displayed to the surveyor.
The surveyor instruction box, allows you to configure textual instructions for the surveyor that will be formatted differently than the body text.
Here I configured my body text to be:
"Please rate the following products"
The 'Answers' Tab
The answer's tab allows you to define the questions answers, set their visual rendering, edit and configure them.
Defining the Questions Answers
Answers can be added in various ways, for example:
- Writing the answer's text in the given text field, and hitting 'Enter' or the 'Add' button.
- Defining an answer scale. (For more information about answer scales please refer to the Scripting Guide)
- Using the Multi-Add feature. (How To Add Multiple Answers and Update Them at once)
The index column represents the position order of the answer in the answers list which is given automatically by the system and is then used when referring to answers values with functions.
The 'Edit' button for the scale allows you to jump directly to the scale's editing mode.
The 'Edit' button for the answer allows you to edit its text.
The 'Properties' button allows you to configure the selected answers properties.
When ticking the answers, automatically it will sort the rating order , for example:
Here I have 1st ticked Product B, then Product C, Then product A.
The rendering panel allows you to render your answer visual rendering in different ways, for example:
Displaying the answers in multiple columns.
(Rendering answers in multiple columns)
The type of button's \ answers representation.
(How to render Single Choice & Single Choice Grid Questions)
- Min/Max stands for the minimum and maximum tick's required for this question.
The Rules Tab
In the rules tab you can define Entrance Rules, Validation Rules and Branching rules.
For more detail please see the following tutorials and refer to the scripting guide:
The Scripts Tab
In the Script's tab you can define your questions Start Script, End Script and enter the advanced scripts for defining more complex functions.
For more detail about Start, End and Advanced scripts, please see the following tutorials and refer to the scripting guide:
The Variables Tab
The Variables Tab is used for configuring variable related properties of a question.
- Variable Name: is the name of the column representing this question when exporting.
- Missing Value: is the value that this question will get if it was not answered or skipped.
- Short ID: Is a short name that is used for ease of readability and is viewable in the Survey Tree next to the Question Index – Short ID's can also be used as a basis for variable names, please see: How to work with QRef's & Short ID's
Variable names can be referenced instead of Indexes by using the correct functions. (Basic Introduction to using VRef and VarName)
The Coding's Panel allows you to configure how the coding of this question should be when exporting.
- 'Export Answers as text' – Allows you to export the answers text instead of their indexes.
The Advanced Tab
The advanced tab allows you to set & configure more advanced properties of a question.
Common usages of the advanced tab:
- Hiding a question from the surveyor.
- Randomization of Answers\Topics:
- Allowing\Disallowing 'No Answer':
Configuration of Answer Properties, Attachments and Image Properties:
Variables and Exporting Definitions
If I have chosen Product B as my 1st option, Product C as my 2nd option and Product A as my 3rd option – It would be exported like this, having the Variable name followed by the Option number, having the selected answer index inside it.
Common Functions used to retrieve the value
These are some common functions used with this type of question:
Common Functions used to set the value
SetAnswerIter(QuestionIndex, IterationIndex ,AnswerIndex)
For more functions please see the scripting guide and function library: Function Documentation