Sometimes there’s a need to create a survey that is actually built from several different visits (Interview conducted as a series of visits).
There are several possible scenarios/requirements that may determine how the survey will be designed:
- Is the interim interview data (of visits conducted thus far) is required to be accessed by the operation managers/quality control/data teams
- Are all visits conducted by the same surveyor or different surveyors can be assigned to perform different visits to the same interview
- Are all visits done as face-to-face/CAPI interviews or part is auto completed by the respondent (for example the product placement is done by a surveyor then subsequent visits are self completed by the respondent)
CAPI, Same Surveyor, No Need for interim data
If it is always the same surveyor that conducts all visits as CAPI and you do not need the interim data to be accessible to the management/data teams then you can design the survey as a simple normal survey where the surveyor will use their device for all visits and can simply stop and continue the same interiew where required as explained here https://support.dooblo.net/hc/en-us/articles/208295735-How-To-Stop-and-Save-an-Interview-and-then-Continue
CAPI, Same Surveyor, Need interim data
If it is always the same surveyor that conducts all visits as CAPI and you do need the interim data to be accessible to the management/data teams then you can design the survey with the upload stopped interviews turned on this survey. You would build the survey so it gets uploaded after every visit when the interview stops. Uploading of stopped CAPI interviews is explained here: https://support.dooblo.net/hc/en-us/articles/5884659227164-Uploading-data-of-stopped-CAPI-interviews
CAPI, Different Surveyors, Need for Interim Data
If it is not the same surveyor that will be conducting all visits but all will be conducted as face-to-face/CAPI interviews then the following can be used to design such a survey. In the below you also achieve the ability to consult the interim visits data
Let’s say we have a survey with 3 main parts: Screener, Main, Recall.
Script the entire process into one script with 3 main chapters: screener, main, recall.
Set the survey interviews to not automatically approve interviews: Go to the Survey Properties tab, and un-check the option 'Auto Approval of Interview':
- The survey logic and flow can be built and controlled by using entrance rules and jump rules, so that only the specific chapter that is designated to a specific visit, will be asked in that visit. Please view the sample survey that can be found here, to see how this can be achieved.
- Once the logic is structured as needed - A surveyor will start the interview with the "Screener" chapter, and once it is completed, it will be submitted automatically (Alternative - instead of submitting automatically, the surveyor can also manually stop the interview after the Screener, save it and ‘manually’ complete the interview: http://support.dooblo.net/entries/22389226-How-to-upload-Not-Completed-results)
Through the script you can set the SubjectData to reflect the fact it has ended the screener (for example, add this code line in the end script of the last question in the screener part: SubjectData = “End Screener”).
- The complete result would get uploaded.
- A reviewer will review it using the operations console and decide if to delete the interview (screener didn’t pass) or return it to the surveyor for the main part (http://support.dooblo.net/entries/22400888-How-to-return-interviews-to-a-surveyor). One important note is that when returning a survey you can decide to return it to a different surveyor than the one originating it for example if the surveyors that perform the screener are a different group than the one performing the main.
- The surveyor will see the interview back on his device with the SubjectData that will let him know he should continue with the main chapter.
- Once the Main chapter is completed, the interview will again be submitted (or manually stopped and set as complete), the same way it had in the "Screener".
- Through the script you can set the SubjectData to reflect the fact it has ended the main (for example, add this code line in the end script of the last question in the Main part: SubjectData = “End Main”).
- A reviewer will review it using the operations console and decide if to delete/modify the interview and/or return it to the surveyor for the recall part.
- If main was OK and the interview can continue the surveyor will see the interview back on his device with the SubjectData that will let him know he should continue with the recall chapter.
- Once completed and uploaded the reviewer can then approve the interview.
CAPI then respondent self completes the remaining visits online/CAWI
Use the CAPI to CAWI method where the first visit is done as CAPI then the remaining visits are part of the CAWI section of the survey. Unique links allow to stop and continue the same interview so build your script in a way that the respondent would simply be told when to stop then when continuing the interview it will continue from where it stopped (i.e. next visit script part etc.)
You can refer to the relevant guide here: https://support.dooblo.net/hc/en-us/articles/6962658448274-How-to-Run-CAPI-to-CAWI-Surveys
Visit us at: http://www.dooblo.net
Please sign in to leave a comment.