Numeric Grid questions are the same as numeric questions but have multiple topics that each can have a numeric input as an answer, for example:
"How many glasses of water do you drink in each one of the following day periods??" (Give day periods as topics)
Under the Survey Tree, this is how the Question Node looks like.
Each question has a set of tabs; each tab is used for different configurations – let's go over the tab's.
The View Tab
In the view tab you can configure the basic components of a question, such as its body text and its answers.
Question Type & General Settings
In the main panel, you can set the questions type, its textual color and formatting.
In the bottom panel, you can Clear the questions content, add a new question of the same type right after the current one and quickly navigate between questions:
The 'Question' Tab
Under the question's tab, within the View tab, you can define the Questions Body Text and the surveyors instructions if any.
Defining The Questions Text
The text written in the question's tab box is the body text that will be displayed to the surveyor.
The surveyor instruction box, allows you to configure textual instructions for the surveyor that will be formatted differently than the body text.
Here I configured my body text to be:
"How many glasses of water do you drink in each one of the following day periods?"
The 'Answers' Tab
The answer's tab allows you to define the questions answers, set their visual rendering, edit and configure them.
- 'Rendering Mode' – Allows you to set your answers' visual rendering in different ways:
Text box / Rating bar / Slider
- 'Lower Limit' – Sets the minimum numeric value optional.
- 'Upper Limit' – Sets the maximum numeric value optional.
- 'Allow only integers' – Allows to input only integer values.
- 'Show scan button' – Sets this question to behave as a QR scanner, scanning only numeric QR codes as the answer of this question.
- 'Topics total should not exceed' – Defines the maximum sum of the numeric input of all topics cannot exceed.
- 'Topics must equal to total' – Defines the value that the sum of all topics must be equal to.
- 'Show total' – Displays the total value of numeric input within the topics.
- 'Total Text:' – When 'Show total' is used, you can edit the text to be presented with the total amount.
- 'Remain Text' – When 'Show total' and 'Topics must equal to total' are used the 'Remain Text' is presented, you can edit the text to be presented with the remaining of the total.
(e.g. If "topics total" is set to 100, and user answered the first topic as "20" and the second topic as "10"- the remaining is 70)
The 'Topics' Tab
The topics tab allows you to configure & set the topics of the grid question.
Its usability is similar to the 'Answers' tab, besides the following options:
- 'Repeat Headers After' – If you configured some topics to be headers, this will define after how many topics the headers will appear again (used for headers that have a long list of topics underneath it)
- 'Alternating Row Colors' – Set's the rows of the grids to be in alternating default grey colors
- 'Topic Percentage' – Set's the amount of percentage out of 100% that the topic column will take out of the table (only in Table Layout rendering mode).
- 'Topic in-line with answer' – Set's the topic text to be in-line with its answer box.
The Rules Tab
In the rules tab you can define Entrance Rules, Validation Rules and Branching rules.
For more detail please see the following tutorials and refer to the scripting guide:
How to create Validation Rules
The Scripts Tab
In the Script's tab you can define your questions Start Script, End Script and enter the advanced scripts for defining more complex functions.
For more detail about Start, End and Advanced scripts, please see the following tutorials and refer to the scripting guide:
How to create Start\End Scripts
How To use functions across a script using the Advanced Scripts section
The Variables Tab
The Variables Tab is used for configuring variable related properties of a question.
- Variable Name: is the name of the column representing this question when exporting.
- Missing Value: is the value that this question will get if it was not answered or skipped.
- Short ID: Is a short name that is used for ease of readability and is viewable in the Survey Tree next to the Question Index – Short ID's can also be used as a basis for variable names, please see: How to work with QRef's & Short ID's
Variable names can be referenced instead of Indexes by using the correct functions. (Basic Introduction to using VRef and VarName)
The Advanced Tab
The advanced tab allows you to set & configure more advanced properties of a question.
Common usages of the advanced tab:
- Hiding a question from the surveyor.
- Randomization of Answers\Topics:
- Allowing\Disallowing 'No Answer':
Configuration of Answer Properties, Attachments and Image Properties:
Variables and Exporting Definitions
If I input 4 in topic 1, 1 in topic 2 and 3 in topic 3, this is how it should be exported:
Common Functions used to retrieve the value
These are some common functions used with this type of question:
AnswerChoiceIter(QuestionIndex, TopicIndex, IterationIndex)
ContainsSpecificRate(QuestionIndex, AnswerIndex, TopicIndex)
ContainsSpecificRate(QuestionIndex, AnswerIndex, TopicIndex, IterationIndex)
Common Functions used to set the value
For more functions please see the scripting guide and function library: Function Documentation
Please sign in to leave a comment.