Scale questions are used for giving a scaled rank to a number from a given scale, for example:
"How do you like going to the beach ? Please rate from 1 to 5"
Under the Survey Tree, this is how the Question Node looks like.
Each question has a set of tabs; each tab is used for different configurations – let's go over the tab's.
The View Tab
In the view tab you can configure the basic components of a question, such as its body text and its answers.
Question Type & General Settings
In the main panel, you can set the questions type, its textual color and formatting.
In the bottom panel, you can Clear the questions content, add a new question of the same type right after the current one and quickly navigate between questions:
The 'Question' Tab
Under the question's tab, within the View tab, you can define the Questions Body Text and the surveyors instructions if any.
Defining The Questions Text
The text written in the question's tab box is the body text that will be displayed to the surveyor.
The surveyor instruction box, allows you to configure textual instructions for the surveyor that will be formatted differently than the body text.
Here I configured my body text to be:
"How do you like going to the beach ?
Please rate from 1 to 5 "
The 'Answers' Tab
The answer's tab allows you to define the questions answers, set their visual rendering, edit and configure them.
- 'Lower Limit' – set's the value of the lower limit of the scale.
- 'Upper Limit' – set's the value of the upper limit of the scale.
- 'Lower Text' – set's the text of the lower limit of the scale.
- 'Middle Text' – set's the text of the middle value of the scale.
- 'Upper Text' – set's the text of the upper limit of the scale.
- 'Question Images' – Allows you to define image's for the lower, upper & middle values.
For example, setting the images for the High, Low, and Middle values as shown here:
Will display the question like this:
You can also set an image for the thumb as shown here:
The question will be displayed like this:
The Rules Tab
In the rules tab you can define Entrance Rules, Validation Rules and Branching rules.
For more detail please see the following tutorials and refer to the scripting guide:
How to create Validation Rules
The Scripts Tab
In the Script's tab you can define your questions Start Script, End Script and enter the advanced scripts for defining more complex functions.
For more detail about Start, End and Advanced scripts, please see the following tutorials and refer to the scripting guide:
How to create Start\End Scripts
How To use functions across a script using the Advanced Scripts section
The Variables Tab
The Variables Tab is used for configuring variable related properties of a question.
- Variable Name: is the name of the column representing this question when exporting.
- Missing Value: is the value that this question will get if it was not answered or skipped.
- Short ID: Is a short name that is used for ease of readability and is viewable in the Survey Tree next to the Question Index – Short ID's can also be used as a basis for variable names, please see: How to work with QRef's & Short ID's
Variable names can be referenced instead of Indexes by using the correct functions. (Basic Introduction to using VRef and VarName)
The Advanced Tab
The advanced tab allows you to set & configure more advanced properties of a question.
Common usages of the advanced tab:
- Hiding a question from the surveyor.
- Allowing\Disallowing 'No Answer':
Variables and Exporting Definitions
If I have selected the rate to be 4, for example:
Then, when exporting it would look like this:
Common Functions used to retrieve the value
These are some common functions used with this type of question:
Common Functions used to set the value
For more functions please see the scripting guide and function library: Function Documentation
Please sign in to leave a comment.