SurveyToGo enables you to start a survey from within another survey. This feature can be used for a bunch of different purposes such as:
- Filling out surveys in response to conditions. For example: a survey for a retail store, that requires a different survey if the store was close.
- Filling out surveys in response to events in the field. For example: general medical device survey, where if while filling out the general questions, the patient suddenly reacts you need to fill out a survey about his/her reaction then continue back to filling the general survey.
- Simple loops.
Each child survey is rendered as a menu option on the device allowing for quick ad-hoc filling of child surveys.
How to make it happen?
In order to configure child surveys for a father survey, you just need to specify for the master survey which survey(s) are its child surveys. To accomplish this, do the following:
- Open the main survey.
- Click the “Edit Child Surveys” link on the advanced tab of the survey node:
- Click the “+” button to add a new child survey, then fill out the “Button Text” text. This text will be shown on the menu of the device:
Then, click the “…” button to select the actual child survey from your existing surveys. Please note you can select any survey you want, and you can have a survey be a child survey of more then 1 parent.
- Click the “+” button to add more surveys or the “OK” button to finish.
- That’s it. You can now deploy the survey to the device and on the device you will see a menu
Working with child surveys on the device
Now, on the device when running the survey you will see a menu named “More”:
Clicking on this menu will bring up the ability to add or edit child surveys:
You can then select the relevant child survey from the list of surveys. This will start a new run of the child survey, after which you will return to the current survey.
To edit surveys you have already conducted tap the “Edit Additional Surveys” menu option, and then select the relevant survey.
How to change the “Data” field of child surveys for later editing?
When you choose to edit additional surveys from the device by clicking the option:
You will see a screen that lists out the various child surveys you have filled out. For example:
If you wish executing a child survey automatically, without needing the surveyor to do it manually, you can write the following script in your desired location in your questionnaire:
ChildMgr.StartChildSurvey(“THE NAME OF YOUR CHILD SURVEY AS WRITTEN IN THE BUTTON TEXT TEXT-BOX”);
‘Communication’ between a Parent survey and a Child survey
The most efficient way to perform information exchange between child and parent survey is by using the Parent object from within the child survey.
You can call any SurveyToGo function by using Parent. for example Parent.Answer(1) would return the value of question 1 in the parent survey. Parent.SetAnswer(1, 2) would set the value of question 1 in the the Parenet survey to 1.
You can import and test a child survey sample in this link: Child Survey Sample